Friday, April 2, 2010

~Teen Bedroom #2~

If you have a teenager then you will complete relate to this post. When my kids were babies and I use visit friends who had older kids and I was often horrified by the mess in their teenagers bedrooms. I quickly became one of those Moms . . you know the ones that say "oh my kid will never be allowed to do that." 

Karma right!

Now that I have teenagers of my own, 16 and 17, I have a whole new outlook. I spent years practically banging my head against the wall to get them to keep their rooms clean. My thought was that it was my home and their room was a reflection on me -right! 

Well, I eventually gave in and took the "don't sweat the small stuff'" approach. Aside from not allowing food or drinks in the bedroom, I just left them along to their space (which is beyond messy, disorganized, and just plan disgusting). 

However, last year, I redecorated both my kids rooms. Both of them were allowed to decide how it was going to look. I wish I could say that it was the answer-and they were so happy about how their rooms turned out that they were never messy again. But of course that wasn't what happened. The change was actually mine. Now, when I look into their rooms, there is no question that the space belongs to them-from the color on the wall down to the dirty clothes on the floor. The space completely belongs to them. Now, I just smile and slowly close the door. 

So the moral of the story is  . . . give them a space that isn't a reflection on you! Instead take your guests to the kitchen :)

Here are some ideas for how your teen can completely own their own space. 

PS: My son is going away to college in the fall, so keep posted to see what I am going to do with his vacated space :)  See everything comes full circle!

All photos from http://www.digsdigs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails